With Xakia Documents (DMS), users are now able to create up to 999 versions of a document.
Why use version control?
Use version control to minimise risk in updating the wrong draft of a document. Label the version to differentiate it from other drafts.
You must have at least one document uploaded before you are able to view document history and manage document versions.
View this article to learn how to add documents to a matter.
How to upload a new version
From the Documents list, you can upload a new version using the upload icon on each document row.
If you wish to add a comment about the version, type this in the Description box.
Note: When you upload a new version, it is automatically designated as the Official Version unless you specifically override that designation in the upload process.
Open the Version History pop up of any document by clicking on the Official Version number or versions link in each document row.
From the Version History pop up, you can:
- Upload a new version of the selected document using the Upload New Version button in the top-right section of the modal.
- Make any version the Official Version (see further information below).
- Download any document version.
- Change any previously uploaded document to be the Official Version.
- Delete any document version that is not currently the Official Version.
- Toggle (on/off) the ability to share with internal clients for any document version.
What is an Official Version of a document?
An Official Version is a designation that allows you to track what you consider to be the ‘master version’ of a document, which may or may not be the latest version. The version of a document that you designate as the Official Version is the default version that will be previewed in, and downloaded from, Xakia. Normally, the Official version is the latest/highest number version of a document, but this can be changed if needed.
How to designate a specific version as the Official Version
As noted above, when you upload a new version it will be designated as the Official Version automatically unless you specifically override that designation in the upload process. If you override that designation, the new version will be uploaded, but whatever version was previously designated as the Official Version will retain that designation.
To designate a specific version as the Official Version:
- Open the Version History pop up of any document by clicking on the Official Version number from the Documents list
- Click the ellipsis to the right of the version you wish to designate
- Select Make Official Version
The Official Version of a document is clearly tagged in the Version History pop up for easy identification.