With the Xakia legal intake tool, you can easily receive different request types from your internal clients, triage and assign work to the team.
Receiving work from your internal client – and ensuring that you receive the information you need to resolve the legal question the first time – has never been easier.
Note: Legal intake and triage is available with a Xakia Plus and Xakia Advance subscriptions.
In this article:
- How to locate your Legal Intake configuration
- Designing your request form
- Set preferences for submitting legal requests
- How to add a new legal request form
- Activating your request form
- Controlling email notifications
- Making the request forms available to the business
1. Locate your Legal Intake configuration
To access and get set up on Legal Intake, a Location Administrator must:
- Click 'Admin' in the top navigation menu
- Click 'Xakia Plus' or 'Xakia Advance' from the left hand menu (dependent on subscription level)
- Click on the 'Legal Intake' tab
2. Design your legal request form
You can customize your legal request forms to include your logo and company colors. Follow the steps below to learn how:
- Under the 'Legal Intake' tab, click on the 'Design' tab
Show company logo
- If you wish to display your logo on the form, toggle 'Display Company Logo' to 'On'
Follow the steps in this article to learn how to upload your company logo.
Add brand colors
- If you would like to add your brand colour to the form, toggle 'Legal Intake Color' to 'On'
- You can click into the 'Heading Color' and 'Background Color' box to choose a color from the color spectrum or enter a Hex color
Name your Request Form
- Give your Request Form a heading
- Add introductory text, if required
- Click 'Save'
Note: If you have activated other languages, you will need to provide a heading and introductory text in each relevant language
- Select the 'Settings' tab under Legal Intake to set preferences for submitting Legal Requests
- If you would like to automatically invite legal requesters to follow their matters on the Internal Client Portal, toggle the 'Auto Invite Followers' to 'On'
- If you would like to 'Allow Matter Rejection', toggle this feature to 'On'
- Select the matter rejection reasons to be made available
- Click 'Save'
Note: Click here to learn more about rejecting a legal intake request.
4. Create Xakia request types
Xakia allows you to create unlimited ‘Request Types’ which include:
- A request description
- Customized questions
- Administrators of the Request Type
A Location Administrator can set up a 'Request Type' by following these steps:
- Click on 'Admin' in the top navigation menu
- Click on 'Xakia Plus' or 'Xakia Advance' on the left-hand menu (this is determined by your subscription level)
- In the 'Legal Intake' tab, click on the 'Add Legal Request Form' button on the right hand side of the screen
Name your request type
- In the top section of form, give your Request Type a name
Note: If you have activated other languages, you will need to provide a name in each relevant language by clicking on the vertical ellipses at the end of the input field
Choose where it will be hosted
Determine how you would like to host your legal request. You can choose between a 'Default URL' and a 'Unique URL':
- Default URL: the basic URL that can host multiple types of Legal Requests by allowing the Requester to pick which Request type to submit
- Unique URL: a unique URL that is different from your default URL. The requester will only have 1 or multiple specifically designated Request types to choose from under this URL that is determined by you
- Existing Unique URL: once you have created an Unique URL, you can add other requests to this form. For example, if you have multiple request forms that should only be available to the Human Resources division, you can host all of these forms under a Unique URL. This allows them to only see the forms that are relevant to their division. As opposed to viewing all forms that are hosted under your Default URL
- Under the 'Request' tab, the 'Matter Field' column contains the fields that will appear on the first page of your Legal Intake Form
- You can choose to rename these fields by clicking on the vertical ellipses under the 'Form Label' column for each field
- A slide-out will appear and you can simply type in the field name you prefer
- Determine whether you want to make these fields 'Active' on the form
Note: Unticking the 'Active' checkbox will remove that field from the Request form. The Matter Name Field is compulsory on the Legal Request Form, which is why it does not offer an 'Active or 'Required' option
- Determine whether you want to make the fields compulsory by selecting the 'Required' tick box
Note: Ticking this box will require the the requester to insert information into that field before they can submit the form
- Determine which team members will display for selection by your internal clients and/or be Admins on this request type (these team members will receive and assign matters)
- This is set by clicking on the three dots next to 'Matter Manager'
- A slide-out will appear on the right hand side for selection
- Tick the names you wish to include and click 'Save'
You can learn more about how this works, by watching the video in this article.
- If 'Division' and 'Category' is active on the form, you can click the three dots in the 'Matter Field' column for that field to choose which divisions (and sub-divisions) and categories (and sub-categories) are to be included
Note: The form defaults to show 'All' Divisions unless you uncheck those boxes.
- Under the 'Details' tab, you have the option to add custom fields, which will appear under your 'Instructions' tab when the request becomes a matter
- You can add custom fields in the 'Custom Fields' area of your Admin by following the steps here
- You can drag and drop custom fields into your form in the order you would like them to appear, or in alphabetical order
- You can add up to 50 custom fields to your legal intake form
- Add instructions to each field if needed
- Under the 'Template' tab, determine whether you would like these request types to be templated, i.e. have qualitative fields (such as size, risk, complexity and strategy) to be automatically assigned when the request is received for this specific request form
- Click 'Save'
- You can click on the 'Close' button once completed
Top tip: See your saved changed using the 'Preview' tab in the legal request form
5. Activate your Intake Form
Once you have set up your Intake Form, you will need to activate it. To activate your form:
- Click on the 'Requests' tab under 'Legal Intake'
- Click on the filter button next to the 'Add Legal Request Form' button to view 'All' Request Forms
- Find the form that you would like to activate and click on the 'Activate' link
- Your form is now ready for use
6. Control the notifications
Your internal clients will automatically receive notifications:
- When they submit a request and the request has been received by the internal team - 'Request Received'
- When the request is assigned to a Xakia user and saved as a matter - 'Matter Assigned'
- When the matter is completed - 'Matter Completed'
If you would like to manage these notifications, you can do this by:
- Click 'Notifications' on the left navigation bar of the Admin area
- Click on the 'Legal Intake Notifications' tab
- Review the list of legal intake requests which have been activated
- Untick any notifications you do not wish your internal clients to receive
- Click 'Save'
7. Make your request forms available on your intranet
Your internal clients can access request forms from your intranet, answer the questions and attach their documents and emails to submit for legal review.
When setting up your legal intake Request Types, you will notice these URL links:
- Default URL is shown under 'Settings' under your 'Legal Intake' tab
- Unique URLs, when selected on a request form, are shown in the section of each 'Request Type'
Each URL link can be provided to your IT team to be included on your intranet as either:
- An iFrame
- A link to the request page
From each URL, clients will be able to select the Request Type and follow the prompts to submit a request. If you would like to provide instructions on how to complete a form, you can start with the information we have created here.
Your business users submitting requests through the intake tool will receive email notifications when their matter is received, assigned and completed. You can choose to provide the business user with access to the Internal Client Portal. The internal client portal allows business users visibility into the details of their requests, status, and shared discussions and notes with the legal department. Learn more about our Internal Client Portal by viewing this article.