Restrict access from authorized IP addresses
If you want to restrict access to your matter data and/or legal intake forms from authorized IP addresses only, you can set these restrictions in your Location configuration.
A Location Administrator can follow the steps below:
- Click on 'Admin' in the top navigation menu
- Select the 'Security' tab from the left hand side menu
- Click on the 'IP Restrictions' tab
- Select whether to apply IP address restrictions to:
- Xakia main application: when enabled, all requests to the authenticated Xakia application are inspected, but this does not include Legal Intake
- Legal Intake: when enabled, all requests to the unauthenticated Legal Intake are inspected.
- Click on the 'Add' button on the right hand side of the screen to add IP address details, including a name and the beginning and start of the IP sequence (see further detail below). Note, the UI will display your Public IP address, ensure that it’s included in the range.
- Click 'Save' to turn on IP address restrictions
Where IP address restrictions are turned on, Administrators will continue to have access to the Admin area by navigating directly to this link and correcting the error, but matter data will be redacted for those who are accessing the system or legal intake forms from an unauthorised IP address.
How does IP address restriction work?
The IP address restriction feature works by comparing the user's public IP address (provided in the request from the user's browser), against a list of allowed IPs (as specified above).
In the event the user's public IP address is not in the defined range, the IP restriction middleware will return a 403 – Forbidden response code. If the IP address is in the defined range, the middleware will allow the request to continue and return the requested data. For this reason, we suggest that a network administrator provide a list of all public IP addresses for your company.
If you require more information or support, you can get in touch with the Support team here or email email@example.com.